Fix Of The Week 6/14/19
Fix of The Week
Every week we’re posting our favorite head-scratchers and interesting mechanical issues submitted by our Direct-Hit customers.
For a chance to have something you’ve worked on appear as a Fix of the Week, and win a cool little prize for your shop, all you have to do is post your unique fixes in Direct-Hit. Just look up the vehicle you’re working on, click on Post Fix at the top right, then tell us the problem and what you did to fix it.
This Week’s Winners
On this edition of Fix of The Week: a Kia and a Pontiac with headlight problems and a Nissan that failed emissions testing.
2014 Kia Sedona – Main Street Shell
This vehicle’s right side high beam headlight would come on and shut off after about a minute. We checked all the fuses and connections and checked for codes. We traced the wires back to the front area module and didn’t find any issue there. We swapped the 54 circuit with 53 (both white wires) which feed the left and right high beams at the big connector (front area module) With the wires swapped, the problem moved to the left side high beam and the right side worked properly. We replaced the BCM and the issue was resolved.
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix – Jeff’s Service
The low beam headlights on this vehicle would frequently go out. We commanded the low beams on through the BCM and waited until they went out. We found the BCM was still grounding the circuit for the HDM module (low beam relay). We jumped the circuit to the low beam lights and they came on—after the HDM module had cooled a bit they worked again. We replaced the HDM module and the low beams stayed on.
1994 Nissan D21 – North County Smog
This vehicle failed its smog test. It had high CO, ran rich and had poor drivability. We visually inspected the ignition components and intrusively tested the catalyst efficiency by drilling a hole in the front of the cat and testing emission level before the cat. The catalyst was working well, so we got started on a tune-up. The cap and rotor were worn; we replaced the O2 sensor which dropped CO from 3.2% to 1.0%. We tested the MAF sensor and TPS, both were good but the vehicle still ran poorly. Four new injectors did the trick and dropped the CO to 0.05%.