The Fix of The Week 5/31/19
Fix of The Week
Every week we’re posting our favorite head-scratchers and interesting mechanical issues submitted by our Direct-Hit customers.
For a chance to have something you’ve worked on appear as a Fix of the Week, and win a cool little prize for your shop, all you have to do is post your unique fixes in Direct-Hit. Just look up the vehicle you’re working on, click on Post Fix at the top right, then tell us the problem and what you did to fix it.
This Week’s Winners
On this edition of Fix of The Week: a dead data line in a Honda, a faulty flywheel in a Nissan, and a blind camera in an Acura.
2006 Honda Civic – Midwest Auto Services
This Civic had no start, no fuel, no spark, and no PCM communication after replacing the oil control valve with switches. We checked the power and grounds—all were good. Next, we checked for wires damaged or left loose during installation and those checked out as well. We did, however, find there was a loss of data line communication, so we unplugged the new oil pressure switch and the vehicle started. The oil pressure switch had shorted internally and was killing the data line. We replaced the oil pressure switch and that solved the problem.
2004 Nissan Maxima – Woodie’s Auto Service
The vehicle had had the clutch and flywheel replaced and it wouldn’t start. The engine was turning over, the battery was good, and RPM was reading fine on the scan tool, but the timing read to be 170 degrees before top dead center.
We checked to see if it had fuel and checked all the fuses. We checked for a spark and it only fired once while cold. The flywheel can only go in one way, and the crank sensor does not read the teeth on the ring gear but instead reads the reluctor wheel on the flywheel. Look for a notched dowel pin guide on the flywheel, on the side where it contacts the clutch—there’s a mark to line it up.
2016 Acura RDX – Port Moody Auto & Air
The left blind spot monitor unit was receiving an audio/navigation unit failure code. We checked to make sure the BSM system was working correctly and it was fine. We ran a self-diagnosis of the audio unit to repair any codes in the navigation unit. The vehicle had a code 2608 – rear camera diag, so we inspected the rear camera, which turns out wasn’t plugged in. We plugged it in and the codes cleared.